.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Another Food Story

Yesterday, we went out yard saling, not that we have room for anything in the house, but I like to see what is around.  Strangely enough I found a place where they had a bunch of office stuff that I had a “to do” to go buy at Office Max, Janet found a couple of things she liked, so we decided to celebrate our mini victories by going to one of our favorite restaurants.  It is one of those Mexican Restaurants that is trying to become a chain (they have three, very busy, places right here in Statesboro.  Janet and I are both fajita lovers, and we had decided to have the lunch fajita (cheaper and a little bit smaller than the regular one) when, on a sudden urge I suggested what they call the “Special Parilla for two)  It is a fajta with chicken, beef, shrimp, pork, and sausage.  It is delivered with a 2 massive plates of guacamole, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, rice, pico de gallo (sp) and refried beans.  We decided to each forgo the rice and have a double helping of refried beans (covered with melting oaxaca cheese)  They were delivered with flair, six large flour tortillas and the fajita meats proper.  I am still angry that I didn’t carry a camera into the store.  I tell you it was impressive.  The meats, grilled with green and red peppers and tomatoes must have weighed two pounds.  We had already been snacking on tortilla chips (nachos?) and salsa. 

We each had two tortillas, filled to overflowing.  I rarely eat my entire entre in a restaurant  but I ate till I was in pain, and the observer could hardly see the dent in the pile of meat (though I did well by the refried beans and guacamole, these are common items in Mexican Restaurants, but at El Sombrero they are special).  We asked for take-home boxes. and the left over meat filled one of them to overflowing. In the other we put mostly tortilla chips, the extra tortillas, and some of the cheese and salsa.  It too was filled to the top.

We took this home, arriving just as Stuart had come by after work on his way to a fencing meet.   He filled two tortillas to the max with “stuff” and ate with great gusto. When he was finished I put the rest in its white box into the refrigerator.  That evening for a snack, I baked two potatoes, covered them with more fajita meat,  What I am trying to say is that two of us had one meal, another had one meal and there was enough pure deliciousness  for two more complete meals in the evening. 

I have been very pleased with having lost almost seventy pounds in the last year.   If we went for that same meal twice a week, I would gain it all back in a couple of months.

4 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Blogger Ed said...

You gotta love places like that!

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Davoh said...

Ah, food. How would we exist without food (food for body, food for soul .. heh)

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

Oh my, it really sounds like you hit the jackpot food wise. I love Mexican food and that all sounded super grand,with the exception of the avacado, since I am extremely allergic to them.

We had a nice holiday except for the last day. All of Sue's family except for Karin's husband, who couldn't get off work, came. We had 12 here and I had been baking and cooking for days before they came. I had made the most delicious beef stroganoff, using top sirloin, and just before we were to sit down, I had to go to the ER with angina. You can read about it on my blog (Grandma Robbin's Nest) It was a pretty bad experience. I wasn't there for Sue's opening of birthday presents which we had so lovingly wrapped. She did have me on the phone while she opened them though. I did get to come home as all the tests determined that there was no damage to the heart. It was just too much stress, I guess. Anyway, I'm doing okay now, just very week and suffering from bad pain in the small of my back. It has always been very bad on my left side, going down my left leg, but this was on my right side for the first time and since I am allergic to all pain meds, all I can do is heat and frozen get pads. I don't know what I would do without them. I'm not standing up well or walking but hopefully it will be better in a couple of days or so.

Right now I am going to try to finish reading the rest of your "long" report about the happenings of Eric and your family. I am enjoying it immensely as I actually never really got to know your kids when they were growing up, or adults either, I might add. Which son was it that spent the day showing us around Savannah, along with your sweet daughter?

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

That was Ryan, who is now a library honcho at the University of Mississippi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home