.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Friday, May 27, 2011

A coupla things

I wrote a few weeks ago about my ambitions, one of which was to walk all the way across my back yard, standing up vertically without pain or hesitation.    I succeeded yesterday and not only walked across the yard but carried a box of books.  This is not something that would be noteworthy for most people, but I was really pleased and excited.

Second issue:  Janet and I made our monthly pilgrimage to the pharmacy yesterday to pick up our prescriptions  (over a hundred bucks apiece  for co-payments –we have prescription drug insurance) and it was too darn hot to go home and fix a meal so we decided to have lunch at a restaurant. 

After some discussion we decided to go to Longhorn Stake House.  Janet had her favorite grilled chicken salad, and I went with one of my favorites, the Cowboy Pork chop (with a baked sweet potato and a house salad.  Both were excellent and “on sale”, but we both required a take-home box at the end. (I haven’t finished a restaurant meal in years)  We love little white boxes (or their contents) for snacks, or dinner).  As the server handed our boxes to Janet she leaned over and said  “There will be no check, someone else has already paid for you meals”

I don’t know how many folks out there have had this experience, but I will be 77 years old next month , and it was a first for me.  I glanced around a couple of time to see if anyone I knew were in the place, but didn’t see any one familiar.  We left a tip for the server, assuming that whoever paid our bill would not have also tipped the server, and fairly danced out to the car and went home. (we didn’t really dance, not with our legs,)  then we went home with our little boxes and had the leftovers for supper.  Some wonderful person had really bought us two meals apiece.  

3 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Ed said...

I've bought many meals for others at restaurants over the years, mostly for soldiers and their families. I try to do it anonymously most of the time though that doesn't always work out. Mostly I do it because I it makes me feel good and it is my way of giving back to those who fight and die to give me the life I live. The recipients are always happy and I'm happy, a win-win situation.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Janet laughed and said it was probably because I was wearing a red American Flag T shirt.. Who knows, but it was really nice.

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

I am 84 and that has never happened to me and I don't expect that it ever will. We used to eat out a couple of times a month, but we hardly ever do anymore. I still love to cook and Dick is a pretty good cook himself so we just prefer eating at home. I just can't chew very well with these darned teeth, so prefer not taking an hour or so to eat just one meal. I can take as long as I want to when I am home, even if I have to reheat my meal half way through, which I often do. Oh well, such is life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home