.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, May 23, 2011

Plumbing alterations.

I spent most of Saturday changing out a toilet in the Johnson house.  The old one had been an irritation for a long time.  It was one of those that needed to be flushed two or three time and occasionally needed the application of a plunger (plumber’s friend) to accomplish its purpose.  In addition to those failings, it had a fourteen or fifteen inch seat, so for old coots It was hard to get onto and sometimes even harder to leave.

Fortunately I had son, Stuart, to do a lot of the heavy lifting or the task might never have been accomplished.   New John = Nice John, comfortable seating up seventeen inches from the floor, and, so far, it has accomplished its task with notable efficiency.  I put the old one out in the back yard till I can dispose of it properly.  

I couldn’t help reflecting about an earlier episode in one of our homes  (quite early in the marriage) when I placed the old John out in the front yard preparatory to disposal when I had what I thought was a creative and interesting idea.   I filled the bowl with potting soil and transplanted a hydrangea bush with pretty dark blue blooms into the bowl.   I had just finished filling the tank with potting soil and was about to plant something else, (petunias, I think) when Janet drove home from “wherever she had been” (I don’t always remember extraneous items). when she slammed on the brakes of her car (not even coming in the driveway) jumped out of the car, approached my creation  with a call of something like “What in the world is that supposed to be?”  It was then that I discovered that my beautiful wife did not share all of my opinions about what is creative, and had a manner of expressing her disagreement energetically, forcefully and with a remarkable lack of subtlety.  Subsequently the  hydrangea found its way into a clay pot, the potting soil went on the flour beds and John made an ignominious trip to the dump. 

She told a number of friends about the occurrence, and, to my disappointment most of them agreed with her.

4 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Reminds me of a time that I came home to find a toilet sitting at the end of my driveway with no signage or reasoning attached to it. I left it there for a couple days as I attended other things but before I could haul it off, it disappeared again. I've always wondered where that crapper went.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

Dick , that is a great story! You are such a good writer, no not good, GREAT!! You put words together like the master wordsmith you are. You should have been writing books all these years, to say nothing about stories, essays and such. Of course you always do write well whenever you blog and I am about to read a well recommended blog about your interesting life that Dick tells me that I musn't miss. He did also mention that I must not read it unless I had a good half and hour to do so. He is at the church doing his regular Tuesday nights with the Bishopric. They have a very informal meeting and it is more fun than anything I am beginning to think. He rarely gets home until around 10:30p.m. they have such a great group. They just have a lot of fun together. Of course their Sunday morning meetings are quite formal and dignified.

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

I just have to make an ammendment to my comment here. I said that Dick told me I would need a half hour to read your "long" post about Eric and your family. I have really enjoyed reading it, but must admit that I am still not finished and I have been reading in my spare time ever since I started. The first night I read for an hour. I must admit that I haven't had that much time to read since then and the only reason I have time to read now is that all of Sue's family is here and I elected to stay home while everyone else went to dinner. I hate to eat out anymore beacause of my darned teeth. It takes me forever to chew a meal and I usually end up taking more than half of my meal home. We have so much food in this house as I have been cooking and baking for days and I just didn't want to bring leftovers. Also the reastuarant they went to is very very very expensive and I just plain did not want to go. Thus I have had another hour to read, but still have some to go. I probably won't have any time until after they leave but I promise you that as soon as they go, I will finish it. So far, I am thoroughly entranced with it all, because I never really got to know your children when they were growing up and I find that I missed out on a lot of experiences I would have liked to have spent getting to know them. Darn it. Too late, we learn. I guess I was just too busy trying to get my kids raised. They feel cheated too because they don't even really know you and Jan. Good thing some of them met you at our renunions, but you know how little time there was then. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that I am still reading it, and at the end, I just know I will be very disappointed that you didn't write more.

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Reminds me of a time that I came home to find a toilet sitting at the end of my driveway with no signage or reasoning attached to it. I left it there for a couple days as I attended other things but before I could haul it off, it disappeared again. I've always wondered where that crapper went. calgary plumbers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home