.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Ruminations on Coothood

When we moved to Georgia in 1970 (expecting to stay for two years), as a family we observed what seemed to be a Georgia phenomenon.  Wt least twice a week we would get stuck (on two lane roads) behind an older car or  pick-up going just about ten miles slower than the speed limit.  When we finally found a place where we could pass the car ahead, we could see that it was usually being driven by an elderly man, usually wearing a wide brimmed (frequently straw) hat. 

It became a running joke, seeing a car slowly progressing to somewhere, and one of the kids would say, (loudly), “Don’t get behind the old man with a hat>”

Yesterday, as I was driving us to our daily water aerobics session, I pulled out of our subdivision making a right turn and progressing in a westerly direction when a car zoomed up behind us at what seemed to be an extreme rate of speed (the limit on Burkhalter road at that point is 45 miles an hour. )  I sped up a little bit to encourage the guy not to rear end me, and went on down the road to the four way stop.  I turned right, and went on down the road about half a mile when I noticed that I had four cars lined up behind me.  One of them passed me going over a solid no passing line, and I sped up just a bit to discourage those others from endangering their lives and mine, when Janet turned to me and said softly “Don’t you have a wide brimmed Panama hat that you should wear in the mornings? “

It took a minute for this to sink in, but I moved a little faster for the rest of the way to the swim pool.  We both chuckled a bit, without discussing the topic at all.

3 Comments:

At 1:18 AM, Blogger Davoh said...

heh

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Funny that as my parents age, my dad is slowing down and my mom is speeding up when they drive. Not sure why that is.

I do know that I have slowed down a lot over the years and I'm nowhere near three score and ten or more years old. I've just reached the point in my life where I'm tired of hurrying and stressing out about slower cars in front. I'll have to dig out a wide brimmed hat because I'm for sure going to be joining the ranks of slower drivers when I get older.

 
At 4:37 AM, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

hehehehehhehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home