.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, September 17, 2012

It is difficult.

I was away on vacation (actually a combination of dog and house sitting for my daughter so that she could go to a family reunion that we just didn't’ have the energy to go to after our trip to Washington and a few days in Hilton Head where we, mostly, vegged) and without access to the internet.  I had real ambitions to post early upon our return, and had lots of ideas, none including whining about our health, of things to write about.

Every time I sat down to write, the turbulence and vitriol of the current political season filled my mind.  I came up with four or five political rants, and suddenly realized that political rants  were not needed.

I am really nervous about our society right now.  Political emotions are so high that one has to be suspicious (no matter where one personally stands) that everything that is written or spoken politically is suspect.

I don’t think that most folks sit down to make up lies about each other, but when emotions are this high, clear headed thinking becomes very rare.   The personal paradigms are so totally opposed that no-one seems to be able to rationally discuss politics.

I am, and have been for years, a political conservative, but I have been able to engage in discussions with friends with other views, (and as a Theatre professional, communications teacher form Political Science student –almost three years- I have been in the company of a lot more liberal folks that those would agree) but this season discussion is out, unless one chooses to offend friends.

As a conservative, but one who studies both written and televised information from most sources, I find it difficult to understand how anyone who is objective and has an IQ over forty can support Barak Obama for another term.  However, I live in a company of a great many people whom I love and appreciate at a number of levels (definitely with IQ’s over forty, many with Doctorates, Masters etc. etc. who with their paradigm cannot understand how any feeling thinking person can fail to support Obama.   The passions are so rigid on both sides that reaction is almost totally emotional.

I am a Mormon.  Our church officially and directly will not allow politics in meetings or anywhere else.  Proclamations are frequently presented in church that the church does not take sides in elections.  (Occasionally they take a stand on what are considered moral ISSUES.

In one of our local meetings, one speaker  said something affirmative about Mitt Romney and several people stood up and left the service.   Mitt is a Mormon, and in our congregation, I suspect a fair portion of the congregation could fit into the category “Mormons who hate Mitt”.  Actually that is a little over the top, a better category would be “Mormons who would and do emphatically oppose Mitt.” They would deny the word “hate” but the voices—well????

What worries me is that with these two opposing paradigms so entrenched. no matter who wins the election, can anyone successfully (and Constitutionally ) govern our country.  The study of history, and my personal experience cause me to wonder, if not to doubt.   I can easily imagine mobs from both sides disruption our land for a long time.

3 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Anonymous Kathleen said...

Hi Richard: I am wondering your take on Harry Reid's comments about Romney being a disgrace to Mormons.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

I feel that Harry Reid is a disgrace to Mormons.

 
At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Kathleen said...

I'm with you. Can it get any more gut wrenching?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home