.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Well, we made our flight to Washington.

I have not often flown by US Air, and have, for some reason, thought negatively about it.  Last year, we flew to Boston by US Air  and I was totally impressed.  The most impressive thing was the they seemed to go really overboard at taking care of older  people with problems.  Every thing was organized so well.

When I booked our flight to Washington through Travelocity, the flight out was scheduled on US Air and I was pleased.  I will have to say that they repeated the process of being thoughtful and  caring.  Our flight from Savannah to Charlotte went like clockwork though we arrived about fifteen minutes late and folks were really rushing to get us to our gate on time.  Just as we were arriving at the gate, the driver of the cart that was carrying us turned and said, “Well, we don’t have to hurry, you are going to make it on time but you aren’t going to be pleased.”

She then informed us that due to some plane trouble elsewhere, the plane, which was supposed to leave for Portland at 8:10 was about three hours late, and would not load until 11:20 PM.  Thus began one of the more difficult three hours of my life.  All the benefits received through the cortisone shots in my spine seemed to evaporate.  I could sit with relative comfort was every movement was painful.  Getting to the restroom was  really difficult, as was getting anything to eat.  I tried to take a nap and, apparently my adrenaline was in high gear. because I couldn’t nap at all and even had some difficulty reading.  My concentration was in total AWOL mode.

Finally the time came to board the plane.  Again, the people from US Air bent over backward to accommodate us, boarding us early and all of those nice things.  We were a little disappointed that the change of planes required  a change of seats.  In some ways the seats were better (much closer to the front of the plane, but we were separated.  We usually try to sit in aisle seats on either side of the aisle.  (The extra space is very good for folks with legs that don’t bend easily.)  I ended up with an aisle seat near the escape root while she sat in a window seat several rows ahead of me.

I usually can sleep easily on planes but my legs kept twitching and bouncing up an down.   I tried to read, and finished a couple of chapters.  I was please to see that Janet was sleeping.  The flight that was supposed to arrive in Portland at 11:20 but arrived at something after 2:30 AM.  My son was waiting for us  when we arrived and we were able to get from the gate to the parking lot with little trouble.  We both had wheel chair rides from the gate to the baggage center and I was most impressed with the attendant who pushed both wheel chairs at the same time, one in each hand.   (He got a very good tip).  We finally got to  bed a little after four, after a brief stop at a drive in for a snack.  I had a milk shake which calmed my sensitive stomach (I only drank half of it, but that was enough)

We finally got to bed about fourish and I was finally able to get to sleep, and I had no trouble sleeping in till every one in the family, grandkids, children and all had been awake for some time.    I am looking forward to the rest of the week, and am not all looking forward to the return trip.

3 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Jeny said...

Thank you so much for the sharing information..........Cheap Flight for India

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Out in my neck of the woods, most of the airplane world revolves around United. Whenever I fly with them, I feel like one cow in a herd of them.

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Kathleen said...

Travel can be exhausting under the best of circumstances. I tip my hat to you and Janet for braving the madness. Hope your visit with family is fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home