.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Things are looking up (maybe)

I go in the morning to get my other cataract removed.  It was a fairly comfortable procedure the first time and I hope it will be tomorrow.  It is about time something went well.

I have been in –really more pain than I remember at almost any time before since I had the EMG tests last Monday.  I go for my first spinal pain shots on Thursday.  I never thought I would look forward to shots.

It was a little embarrassing this morning at church.  Every one wanted to carry something for me, or carry me, I can’t decide, but I was really hobbling.  Janet says I looked alike a really frail old coot, and I  think I may be becoming what I look like.

This led to a really interesting and sweet experience yesterday.  I was feeling a little better and we wandered around to a few garage sales and moving sales.  At one moving sale, the seller was a very sweet elderly woman (eighty six years old last month, just en years my senior)  She had a lovely home and a lovely yard, and I enjoyed looking at, and purchasing some outdoor items.  She noticed my movement, and volunteered that she was handicapped as well.  The she looked me right in the eye and asked me if I have Jesus in my heart.  I told her that I did, that I had committed my life to the Lord in my youth.   She asked me if I had a church home, and I told her that I am a Mormon, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Things got a little cool. Sometimes those in Protestant Churches, particularly those of an evangelistic sort regard Mormons as non Christians and sometimes as absolute heathens.She started to break of the conversation, but then asked me if I had been a Mormon Missionary.  I told her that I had, and I had serve in Pastoral situations about eight times over the years.  She smiled, took my hand and said that if I would simply ask Jesus to come into my heart, He would do it.  I assured her that I had done that many years ago, and in several different situations.  I then went about purchasing some stuff, and as we were about to leave she called me over and asked if she could pray for me.  I told her that I would be honored if she did, and she quickly took my hand as and we both bowed our heads  she prayed a very strong healing and blessing prayer.  Before she could let me go, I prayed as well, asking the Lord to protect her on her journey (her son had come and was going to take her up to live near him since she was eighty six and had no local family.) and to bless her for being a blessing  to those around her.  We were both pretty tearing eyed by then.  She release my hand and told me I had a sweet spirit and I told her the same.  

It was a very moving and encouraging experience.  I do hope her journey is a good one, and I think her prayer will help mine to be better.   

1 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Despite all the praying and talk of final journeys, I still expect to be reading this blog at four score and many more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home