.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, March 22, 2009

I hate when I get so angry it resembled hate

In my posts about the congress inciting mob violence,  I was very strong, and on retrospect, I probably should moderate my language.  i begin to resemble those whom I attack.  I no longer feel the intense anger that was reflected in those posts. 

I doesn't mean that I have changed my mind about the principles involved, but my emotions are less antagonistic right now than the are sorrowful.  I would like to blame the intemperate, illegal and immoral statements by  these congressmen on the hate that seem to flow in our current society, but it is something that exists, not just in politicians but in many of us who feel desperation or discrimination, or the other feelings that result from unequally enforced laws.

When the Mormons lived in Missouri, the Governor of that state, taking exception to many things Mormon, including the fact that most of them were abolitionist, or at least disapproving of slavery, issued an extermination order.  That's right, he officially issued an order that all Mormons should be driven from Missouri, and those who refused to leave should be exterminated (that is the actual term in the proclamation.)   AT least Barney Frankenfurter (I can't resist a little jab) and his friends didn't issue an immediate extermination order for AIG executives (though they came close).

What I feel at this moment is an overwhelming sadness that we as a people (yes I WAS that angry) can be manipulated though a sense of class or racial or ethnic or religious discrimination or fear into approving or even committing  hate filled acts.

I have rethought my position, and though those of my readers (such as remain after my long hiatus) who don't share my faith in God might not appreciate it, and though Barney Frank and those others who used the hearing floors  for blatantly obvious extortion  would probably laugh, tonight I will pray that I will be  forgiven and for them whose acts I so scornfully disapproved, and for the AIG personnel who are living in fear, and for the leaders of this country that they might have the wisdom to act in true deliberation for the success and survival of the tolerance, energy, and forgiveness that I think are part of the American Dream.

When we divide into groups whose focus is not deliberation but group envy and hate we weaken ourselves immeasurably in a world where weakness can be fatal.

4 Comments:

At 7:37 PM, Blogger Michael Nielsen said...

"What I feel at this moment is an overwhelming sadness that we as a people (yes I WAS that angry) can be manipulated though a sense of class or racial or ethnic or religious discrimination or fear into approving or even committing hate filled acts."

This is precisely why one of the classic texts in social psychology is titled "The Social Animal". We are social beings, and group identity can result in mobs even in places we might not expect. The halls of government don't immunize us against this any more than do chapels or other houses of prayer. We are social beings, reliant on emotion that is tempered on good days by reason.

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

Well said, Richard. I read your rants but didn't feel like commenting because I figured it was a passing mood. God knows I fly off the handle plenty and regret it later. I'm sure most people realize that the grandstanding by the pols is just politicking and don't give it much serious thought.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

3S10, Thank you very much for the kind words you left on my post about my father and grandfather.

BZ

 
At 6:48 AM, Blogger Norma said...

Watching Barney, I could understand how in the past mobs have been incited against blacks, Jews, gays, Reds, Mormons or any "other" not liked by the orator. You think you're immune, that this is the 21st century, and then you see what a few TV cameras and a slobbery snake can do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home