.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, February 23, 2009

Things change (I think, I don't remember for sure)

I was just thinking about how the world changes, and my world changes.  I have already discussed some of the disadvantages of ongoing coothood, but I was really struck last night by the differences in ME.  I have spent most of my life, either as an amateur, a student, a professional, and a teacher in the area of theatre.   I have been in a couple of films, and even been paid (once) for a film I wasn't in. 

For most of my life, the awarding of the Tony awards, the Oscar awards, and even, sometimes the Emmy and Obie awards have been major moments for me.  As soon as they were available on television I remember staying up way after midnight to see the final awards of Best Actor, Best Picture etc. on film in the  Oscars.  It was much like cutting classes in high school to listen to the world series on the radio.  (I haven't been terribly impressed by the world series lately either.)

Last night, I turned on the Oscar Awards and  within half an hour, I was totally bored.  I was momentarily impressed by the speech by Penelope Cruz, and liked the way they brought out former "subordinate" actresses to present that award, but Hugh Jackman was funny as a crutch, and the rest of the thing was blah.    After dozing for awhile, I began to channel surf and ended up watching cable news. 

I can't figure out if it is just that I will not see old acquaintances at all, (which was an attraction for a long time, but I was enthralled before I ever had any acquaintances that  would show up on an awards show) or if the staging and the presentation were just weaker than they used to be (Bob Hope was always interesting just by himself), but I found myself distressed at the fact that I was bored.   I hope other things that I used to love don't begin to bore me.   Oh Well.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

I stopped watching the Oscars many years ago because they had gotten so bad but I watched about a half last night and, like you, got bored and turned off the TV.

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

I stopped watching them long ago too, Richard. They have become boring and I don't think it has anything to do with your age... or mine. They've become boring because they are boring. Hollywood doesn't turn out movies like they used to and the New crop of actors just don't have the same charisma as the ones of the past.

Sorry for not being around more. I've had my pc in for repair for nearly a month!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home