.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, January 09, 2012

Sorry about the long wait.

I have sat down to create a post about half a dozen times in the past weeks, and I have had a lot to talk about.  We had an absolutely wonderful, spiritual Christmas this years.  Three of our kids were here to celebrate with us and it was great.   (details on the above would have been one of the posts, and I really hope that all of you had a wonderful Christmas too.)

I told you that Janet and I started acupuncture to relieve the pain in her leg and the pain in my back and the results, though expensive, were wonderful.  She sleeps nights without being waked by pain, and I walk vertically, more or less like everyone else ( though I still have difficulties in my legs and to a lesser degree in my hands from the peripheral neuropathy that I have had since 1997, but I have learned to cope with these.)  Last Friday I did the hardest and most efficient days work I have done in two years while cleaning out the attic and getting our Christmas stuff  back up where it belongs ( but now in an organized fashion).

During the week before Christmas, our pleasure was mitigated somewhat by our Cardiologist scheduling us both for stress tests (two each, with each preceded by fasting the early part of the day), but we managed to have a good time with the rest of the days.  Christmas day service at church was delightful with reverent consideration of the birth of the Christ intermingled with wonderful musical presentation by many of our teen age members.   New Years day was celebrated by each of us staying awake till midnight, kissing and wishing each other a happy new year.

Last week was interrupted by a call by our Cardiologist  asking us to come in for a consultation.  He said that he had found an anomaly in both of our stress tests.  At the consultation, he explained that he wanted me to have a cardio catherization , Janet was not to have a catheriztion because she has a dissected aorta (it is big and weak and a small problem with catherization could be fatal.   I was scheduled (already for blood tests and x-rays this morning with the catheriztion to occur tomorrow morning at 9:30.  I went in for the tests this morning, and in the process sneaked a look at the paperwork sent in by the doctor wherein he identified the anomaly as “Ischemic cardiac myopathy”.  After the tests I went off to Savannah to have more acupuncture (when it works, do it.) and I got home about five thirty this evening and found four messages on my answering machine, all from the nurse in the Cardiologist’s office telling me not to go for my catherization in the morning.  The tests this morning found a urinary infection and I  am to go to the drugstore and get some antibiotics and they will reschedule the  catherization when my infection is cured. 

I came home and googled “ischemic cardiac myopathy” and the short definition is “heart failure”   all of this going on while I am feeling better in all ways that I have in years.  I have none of the symptoms listed in google for cardiac myopathy so I am pretty optimistic about the results of the thing when it comes, though it makes me a little nervous.  The last time I had a cardiac catherization (about ten years ago) it resulted in a quadrupal bypass.

I will post after the thing is over to let you know I am still around, if not posting as frequently as I would like to.

3 Comments:

At 5:32 AM, Blogger Ed said...

I wish you the best and hope you come out of the tests officially as healthy as you are feeling.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Davoh said...

Whatever happens - a life well lived (or lived well? (sharrup Davo, you'll get yerself into complicated semantics).)

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Davoh, you always make me smile when you comment.
Ed, Thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home