.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, November 22, 2010

Thank you

I’d like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to all those who sent messages of sympathy and solace to Janet and myself during the past two weeks.  This was a difficult time for us, because, though we knew Eric was ill, we had no inkling of the malignancy in his lung, and were shocked when he went from a functioning rather vibrant human being to collapse and death in less than a week.

The memorial was very healing.  The section where his closest friend told us about his life was both sincere and a little funny,  When his friends were invited to come up and talk about him was moving and informative.  We knew he was brilliant, but really had little idea that he so significantly affected many people.  As I said, it was very healing.

We are beginning to relax get into our rhythm of hypochondria with a bit less tension and a realistic outlook. 

I have been trying to write a story of his life, but I am still at the stage where my mind is so flooded with memories that I end up playing spider solitaire at the computer.  We are going to Columbia, S.C. to celebrate Thanksgiving with our daughter.  Our son who lives here  and our son who came from Washington state for the Memorial are coming with us.  We will then go to Memphis where another son is singing in the choir with the Memphis Symphony, and then out to Washington to see some of our grandchildren>  I will try to get it together and report on our condition and activities, but won’t promise to be very regular.  Thanks again.

5 Comments:

At 6:19 AM, Blogger Ed said...

I'm glad to hear that the healing process has begun. Take your time and my sidebar will let me know when you get back to blogging. Take care.

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger Davoh said...

Time is the key. Difficult to find suitable words. Cheers and Best Wishes. D

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

Richard, I don't know if you remember when our fellow blogger, Right Wing Prof, died earlier this year. He was only 58 and died within a week of finding a tumor in his lung.

I'm convinced that "only the good die young." By "good" I mean fairly selfless and humble. At least that has been my experience.

My sympathies are with you and Janet.

Pat

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Norma said...

I hadn't visited for awhile, and am so saddened to hear of your loss. God bless you and Janet and your children.

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Kathleen said...

Sincere sympathies, Richard. I will be praying for you and your family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home