.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Home again, jiggety--------

I spent three or four days in Florida last week.  It was an interesting experience.

Getting there was about a five and one half hour trip, and we discovered that Janet still hasn’t healed enough( especially her shattered femur) to have a comfortable travel even un the Cadillac I bought especially for here travel.  We are scheduled to go out and see the family in Washington State right after Christmas, and I expect a miserable trip for her.

We went to a time share in Orlando for three days and two nights, in return for which we had to sit through a session promoting an upgrade of some stuff we own.  We have been to Orlando many times and have some favorite places to go, and didn’t get to any of them.  We sat in our unit a fairly long time, had dinner out a couple of times and spent some profitable time doing aerobics in one of the pools there.  The lodge had unsecured wireless internet but when one tried to use it an ATT logo  popped up asking for subscription time.  I didn’t use it, but I played a couple of computer games.

I was really impressed that many of the grocery items in the store were almost double the price of the same items in Georgia.  I had thought that with almost twenty percent unemployment  in Florida the prices would be lower.  (That’s what I get for thinking with seventy plus year old brains)

On the way home we stopped for most of a day and visited with my daughter and her family (which includes three grandchildren and four of our great grandchildren) and we had quite a lovely visit.  We would like to have  spent more time but Janet was in such pain that we determined to come home that evening.

I have been wearing a heart monitor for the last three weeks.  My cardiologist worried about all the weight I lost a while ago, and wanted things checked out.  The heart monitor is connected with a “smart” cell phone and blue tooth stuff, and having carried it witih me for three weeks I am beginning to feel cell phone envy.  (My phone is primarily just a phone.)  I think I get to take the monitor off (gizmo hanging around neck with wire contacts to my chest) and send it back tomorrow.  It hasn’t really been much trouble, but I am tired of it.

Anyway, we are home and trying to deal with our mutual physical unpleasantness's, as well as trying to help our oldest son who is in pretty dire straights.  He needs a liver transplant but by the time it is available he may be too rundown to qualify for it.  There are things about growing old that are really quite wonderful, and other things that just suck.

We celebrated Halloween last evening, though this is the real day.  It was wonderful to greet the kids, give out the calories, and watch them smile.   We are far enough from the University that we didn’t have any college age trick or treaters, but we had some really interestingly costumed parents and chaperones coming with the young kids.  I was expecting a lot more vampires this year but the dominating costume trends were animal costumes and fairies with wings of all different kinds. 

5 Comments:

At 6:00 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Hoping for a liver to appear soon.

 
At 5:00 AM, Anonymous Kathleen said...

Prayers for your son.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Norma said...

You guys just amaze me. We don't travel if we even have a sore throat, and nothing stops you!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

You just want to avoid spreading disease. None of our problems are contagious.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

By the way, thanks for your hopes an prayers. He is getting so much weaker every day, that he now uses a walker to get to the bathroom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home