.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, March 06, 2011

Crafty Observations

I just spent Saturday at a Craft Sale in Columbia South Carolina.  I didn’t buy as much as I usually do on such occasions but I made some observations.

It is sometimes amazing that so many people can create so many different things out of things that others throw away. (Everything from bolts, nuts and old automobile mufflers to lonesome pieces of old silverware).

It is interesting that so many of the booths in these places (ostensibly made to show individual works)  are filled with obviously factory made items  that are presented as “craft” (hand made or at least created by the folks who demonstrate and show them) by clever salesmen who make these items look like their own work (ranging from some types of furniture to canned goods).

The world is filled right now with very thin women wearing “spray on” jeans, high heeled boots and tight tops.  About ten percent of these look absolutely lovely and the other ninety percent look anorexic and boney like starving waifs in third world countries (even though much better dressed)

I met and chatted with doll and puppet makers who are doing good work and who make me insanely jealous because they are doing stuff that I can do and have done, but for one reason or another I haven’t sculpted a dang thing in over a year..  Every time I go out in my studio, I feel like I should apologize to all of my nice equipment that is sitting there unused.

It was a very nice day, though because there was enough real art there to make my imagination start to churn.  Maybe I can start going into the studio and actually exercising  some of those tools .

3 Comments:

At 7:09 AM, Blogger Susan Anderson said...

I love going to the type of craft fair you describe, and I'm glad there was enough of real craft there to spark your creative juices.

I would love to see some of your work!

=)

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

I havent' been on the computer for ages and just read a few of your old posts that I missed. I don't know that I will comment on all of them, but I just might. Did you know that for quite a while I had my own blog? Grandma Robbins Nest. I had to take a vacation from it a couple of weeks ago, so I know how hard it is to keep up with it. I just don't know how Sue posts every single day, except for Sunday. I love her words, and also her pictures. I actually do know how she does it. She is a very dedicated blogger and she starts as soon as she wakes up in the morning and stays with it until she is finished. Sometimes at the computer for hours. I just don't seem to have the time or the inclination to do this anymore. Maybe I will feel differently in a couple of weeks. I do have some very dedicated bloggers that keep looking to see if I have posted, so maybe that will start me again. I am so interesting in what's happening with you and Jan and I hate that we live so far apart and that I will probably never see you face to face in this liftetime unless for some reason you plan to be at the next Johnson reunion which will likely be in Idaho because your family is in charge this time. It should happen in a couple of years. I have actually forgotten just which year it will be. Hope that Sue remembers as I will probably have to remind Virginia and Byra Lou, since they are the ones that will likely be planning it. I hope that they can involve you in some way so that you will feel that you HAVE to come. I will try to stay alive until then, at least. I will be 84 on the 23rd of this month......really getting up there. I'm glad you are blogging just a little anyway as I've always enjoyed your blog. And now, I really should look at a couple more that I have missed. Love you, Darlene

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

I forgot to say that I am so so sorry that Jan broke her foot. I broke my left one a couple of years ago and had to have that darned cast on for six weeks, then into that boot for another six weeks, then they casted it again and after three days, the pain was so bad I told them if they didn't take it off, I would. I would have done it too as I knew just how, having found out how my son, Rich, took his off. He soaked it in water and just peeled it off. I planned to do just that, but they did take it off and I never went back. The only bad thing is that I can't wear any of my old shoes as they hurt that foot....had to buy new ones and they don't feel wonderful but I can do it long enough to go to church. I only feel comfortable in my good old crocs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home