.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Whata Mess?

I had intended to post a couple of things this week, but I got (almost literally) tied up with an earlier stupid action.  Back in April, I got most of my tax return finished. but foolishly I got a little tired so I asked for an automatic exemption.  (Old coots become, for the most part, master procrastinators)

Monday I sat down to the return figuring that I had about three hours work.   BIG MISTAKE.    I had never counted on the fact that I had refinanced both of my houses and rented one of them and that this would make things really crazy.

Even then, I Xed a box somewhere that made me subject to the standard deduction and wouldn’t “flow” the supplementary materials. 

 

YAAAAAAAAGH.   for three days, no matter what I did, i had a tax burden (federal) of about 3700 dollars and was beginning to look around for things or people to sell.

It was a fluke and whenever I finally unchecked the box, everytihing went swimmingly and the return floated off in a Turbo Tax E file.  I am slowly becoming sane again  and my family will quit hiding when I come our of the office.

3 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous kathleen said...

How can anyone trust the government when a highly intelligent college professor is pulling his hair out doing his taxes. Ridiculous!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Not really willing to take the IRS off the hook, it is necessary to acknowledge that said college professor is no longer at the peak of his "high intelligence". On the other hand some elements on the forms are ridiculous.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Norma said...

I think they'll still come and get you and charge you interest on the 50 cents you missed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home