.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Thursday, August 05, 2010

Back to being old

It is hard to really comprehend some things.  In the past month, I have seen all of my doctors and they all seemed to be excited about how well I am doing but this week has been hellish.  I am so weak that I have trouble doing almost  anything.  Just standing up after having sat in a soft chair for awhile becomes a real project, complete with occasional profanity.

Using a cane helps, but I have so much trouble just walking across the yard.  My back aches quite exquisitely, and I am so weak in my legs that I worry about getting where I’m going.

It doesn’t help that this week is the week my renters move into my other house.   I had a lady and her friend come in and really clean the  place (The previous renters hadn’t left it really dirty, but still- - - -)and I felt the need to inspect the progress, which I did, in company with the new renters (I have a check in sheet in which we, together, identify all the problems, so that I won’t be tempted to  bring any of the current problems up when they check out next year)  Again,  just walking through the house was exhausiing.   I needed to fix the flapper on one of the toilets and a ten minute job took almost two hours.  I confess that I would sell the house pretty cheaply if a buyer came along.

Janet fell this morning and scared the heck out of both of us.   She was just picking up some things off the bedroom floor when she slipped down on one knee and couldn’t get up.  I don’t know how long she was there before I heard her calling, but it was awhile.  When I got her up (which in my weakened condition was easier said than done)  She was totally exhausted.  I  took her blood pressure and it was 190 over 114.  He cardiologist would have gone nuts.   Because of her aortal dissection, he tries to keep her blood pressure low, about 105 or 10 over about forty (which makes her tired, but keeps her alive.)

Getting old is probably better than not getting old, but it is easy to get tired of it.   Hopefully things will return to normal coot complaints in the next week or so, and I will go back to writing about my youth or complaining about politicians.  (This has been the kind of political week that would make and healthy person ill.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home