.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

It aint goin so hot (except the weather)

For those few people who might still log in, I am going to try to repent and post things.  I have so many things I want to say about the past, but now I’ll talk about the present.

I am a little worried about loss of my cognitive powers.  I sit at the computer and, except for reading Facebook and my favorite blogs, (and a lot of them have given up on it dang it)  I really have trouble focusing on what I am doing.  As I type, my fingers slip off the pilot keys and I end up with whole lines of stiff tjat ,els mp semcs at a;;/  then I  have to delete and retype and by the time I get there I can’t remember what I was writing about

I guess when I started this thing I said that I would write about what it feels like to be three score and ten or more years old.   I celebrated my seventy sixth birthday last weekend, and had a good time.  I made a low country boil with about a pound of giant shrimp per person so we ate, refrigerated and ate again.

I worked really hard to get my studio into a working shape again, and have spent time out there. (I will try, when I get the exterior trimmed a bit to post pictures.)  When we moved, I thought it would take about six months to get the studio into operation and it took three years.  Part of that came from the fact that I personally cannot safely work from a ladder any more, and can’t anything above my head, so I have had to depend on others.

I bought this house partly because of the pool, and I have loved it part of the time, but it is a fickle mistress and doesn’t love me back.  I have to work like heck, or hire someone to work like heck to keep the algae down.

Anyway the more years you get past three score and ten, the harder things get.  I have a draft of a useful, or at least I think it is funny, post almost done that won’t whine a bit.  I just home that I am still writing in English when I get to it.

5 Comments:

At 9:09 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

Happy belated birthday. Is it really that you "have trouble focusing" that makes you do typos or is it fat finger syndrome? I've noticed that my fingers have gotten fatter because I make terrible typos lately. ;)

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

I am not three score and ten but I have this issue with typing as well. It is quite embarrassing. Happy Belated Birthday! Hope all is well..

 
At 8:11 PM, Anonymous kathleen said...

Hi Richard, I check in all the time and am always thrilled when you have a new post. Please, don't give up like the rest. Happy birthday and congratulations on making it to *ahem* with your ability to captivate readers with your wit and tales. Look forward to many more episodes in the life and times of...you.

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Beau said...

Well I'm a score+ less than you and my fingers slip off the keyboard too! And I wander all over with my thoughts. I think in many ways it's technology and the times... so many things we are more aware of. I spent a few days away from the tv and computer last month and was amazed at how everything "slowed down" as well as my thoughts. Keep sharing, and happy belated birthday too!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Darlene said...

These darned birthdays come a little too fast these days. You are my oldest nepheu now. I remember when you were born how thrilled I was to have another one. I loved being an Aunt. Still do, but just wish I could see all of you more. I surely do hope you can come to the next family reunion.

Don't even think about memory loss. Wait until you get to be 83. It really bugs me when I start to say something and then can't remember what it was before I can even finish the sentence. As for typing, noone seems to go back and check typing anymore, so I'm used to lot of typos. And yes, I do make a lot myself.

Just keep blogging along. I don't always go on line every day, but I do manage to read yours when I do.

Love you

 

Post a Comment

<< Home