.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Thursday, October 08, 2009

Habanero or Jabanero (No tilde, I don’t know how) peppers. What to do? What to do?

I was given a bag of Jabanero peppers yesterday.  Now I love peppers, and I have often grown Jalopeno peppers because I love to make fajitas, and I love hot peppers in the fajitas.

Jabanero peppers are supposed to be the hottest peppers of all.  Can I really put them in fajitas and let the unwary take freely?  The darn little orange things are so small, cute and innocent looking.  Janet picked the bag out of the refrigerator and asked “What are these?  They really look delicious.  Can I have one?”

It was that moment that I realized that they are dangerous.  What if she hadn’t asked?  She has enough problems already without adding a burnt tongue.  Maybe I am just being paranoid.  I can’t bring myself to throw delicious looking little things away, but how does one use them.  I will accept recipes or suggestions, but please be kind.

I worked on a construction gang made up of Texicans for awhile and  I learned to eat pickled jalopenos right out of the jar.  We began to almost have a contest until on about the third or fourth day I discovered that massive jalopeno pickle ingestion may burn a little, but  massive jalopeno excretion burns even more, and in a much more sensitive place.   I wouldn’t want a recipe that provides pleasure in the beginning and great pain in the “end”.

4 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger Ed said...

A little hot for my taste but I will tell you how I process hot peppers. I wear rubber gloves to protect my skin and pulse them in a food processor to small bit size. I then scrape them into a freezer style plastic bag, label them very well and put them in the freezer. Then when I am ready to use them, I take a small amount out of the bag and add to whatever I am cooking. My wife doesn't like real hot food so I generally save for those special occasions when I'm home alone.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Susan Anderson said...

As far as I'm concerned, these are lethal!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

Ed is right. If you have a lot of them it's best to freeze them or pickle them - also by chopping them fine and putting them in vinegar. Then just use the equivalent of one habanero for four people. They are not jalapenos. Use them for Indian, Thai, Chinese and Mexican recipes.

 
At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incidentally, Habanero is correct. It's Spanish for "from Havana" (Cuba), and the H is silent. Jabañero is a mispronunciation by non-Spanish speakers who think the name is supposed to be similar to jalapeño. It sounds like "abba-narrow," not "hobbin-yarrow."

Incidentally, I typed ñ by holding ALT and typing 0241 on the number keypad on the right. A few seconds of experimentation reveals that Ñ is 0209.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home