.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Thursday, August 06, 2009

Silly Stuff

I know that some of you are Wal-Mart haters and that’s fine, but Wally World is a wonderful source of silly.

If you drive through a Wally World parking lot you are sure to see signs that “This Parking Place limited to fifteen minute for Pharmacy customers.  Have you ever purchased a prescription from Wal Mart?  Fifteen Minutes?  No one has EVER purchase a prescription from Wal Mart in fifteen minutes or less (except perhaps the Pharmacist who works there)

Has anyone ever noticed that as the lines grow long in Wal Mart at the end of the day, they close the less than 20 items checkouts.  This is especially true if you are not near the grocery lanes.  It is like a contest to see who can created the longest line at the check out furthest from where you parked the car.

Not being negative for a moment, has anyone noticed that Wal Mart has a whole display near the  checkouts of almost alll the things  (Sham Wow, Green bags, etc., that are advertised on television as “Not available in stores?”

One of my latest televison chuckles is the ad for stuff to apply to your eyes and a brows to make your eyelashes and eyebrows grow.  The add as almost as many warnings as the adds for prescription drugs including a warning that it may permanently color the skin under the eyelash.  Which is another thing:  If everyone carefully listed to the warnings on most prescription drugs, the drug companies would be out of business because we would all stop taking drugs.  The side effects have the potential to be worse than all but the most deadly diseases.

Well, I’m tired and my poison ivy is really getting to me so I’m about to close, but I have to mention my wonderful wife Janet for a moment.

I wrote that when we got home from our Alaska/Washington State/San Juan Islands adventure, Janet turned to me and said sincerely, “I don’t think you will ever get  me on an airplane again.  She was in terrible pain.

Last  week she received an invitation to the wedding of one of her sister’s grandchildren. (Her sister is almost a total invalid, walking almost not at all, and Janet has not been able to see her sister since we got home from Finland in 2006).  She immediately recruited our youngest daughter to accompany her one the plane to Utah (and Idaho).  When I mentioned never getting on a plane again, her answer was “I may never get another chance,  I just feel that I must go”  so, she probably arrived in Salt Lake City a couple of hours ago..  She will see some of our family in that area, but will drive to Idaho Falls  (Iona, actually) for the Saturday wedding, and I miss her already and still hope to be worthy of the love of that lovely lady.  (She will be home Wednesday)  That’s not a silly thing.

1 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

"If everyone carefully listed to the warnings on most prescription drugs, the drug companies would be out of business because we would all stop taking drugs. The side effects have the potential to be worse than all but the most deadly diseases."

After 30 years in the pharmacy biz, I don't like taking any drug unless I'm dying.

And who the heck needs stuff to make their eyebrows grow? Just wait till you're 60 and they'll get real bushy anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home