.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Thursday, June 19, 2008

AWAY

It is no secret to any reader that I have been away from my blog since Father's Day. Not away from the computer, but I haven't been able to say much. Most of what I have had to say I have slipped into the commentary of some of my friends. I will really be away for the weekend, though I will take my little laptop and try to write some stuff that has been constricting my brain for awhile.

As a parting jab though, I don't like to post about politics anymore (well, that's a darn lie, but if I get up into politics I get angry, blustery and don't like to look at what I have done. I have, however made some comments about media, and today I will throw a little media bomb.

I have been a casual fan of Bill O Reilly for awhile, but I also find his program very irritating. A couple of days ago I figured out why. I will begin by restating that I think Obama will be elected and I think he will be a lousy president, but I have seen who would be worse - - much worse. It is Bill OReilly, and I have figured out why, and why his title "The no spin zone" has almost no validity. What he means, is that he doesn't want anything on the program with which he disagrees (But what about the shouting match with Geraldo about immigration?/ or???? He rather likes to get into a shouting match once in awhile, usually with folks he really disagrees with, and he does rather well in that circumstance. Where he HATES disagreement is with folks whom he seems to respect, and who disagree with him politely and with well formed argument.

At that time he turns into the classic "Don't confuse me with facts when I have made up my mind" mode. With those folks, he throws out lines like "we all know that's not true" or other statements like "everybody knows it's the oil companies and the speculators that are keeping the prices up", but he doesn't want to hear logical argument that would put him on the defensive. This was particularly clear in a discussion with Carl Rove whom he obviously expected to agree with his argument that those dealing in oil futures are deliberately making life miserable for the rest of us, and Rove simply and logically pointed out that he didn't know his ankle from his elbow on the subject. OReilly looked frightened threw out some one liners and got Rove off as quickly as possible. He gets defensive and tosses vapid generalizations in almost all similar situations. I have been able to enjoy OReilly more now that I see what he is doing, and I check off the number of times he does it. Watch him when someone he "should" like is on who disagrees with him and see him blow them off with vapidity. Why would he make a worse president than Obama? Because he makes up his mind on limited evidence and simply refuses to listen to any other point of view. If you watch closely you can almost see him as a child on a playground putting his hands over his ears and screaming "I'M NOT LISTENING" , or "I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

Try watching for this, it makes the program more enjoyable and you can still get fun from the Pinhead or Patriot segments etc.

3 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger Joubert said...

It's not that you should stop writing about politics. It's that you should stop listening to TV and radio show political pundits. O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity etc are shallow and silly people who are in it to make money not to educate us.

 
At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard, I saw this interview... you are spot on. I have never liked his egocentric style or his bombastic outbursts. Geez, I wish there was a political talk show that I could appreciate and enjoy. Know of any? LOL

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

I have noticed this, Richard. You are spot on! I have often said sometimes O'Reilly makes me want to slug him. There are other times when I agree with him, so watching him makes me feel like I have a split personality, although it's really not my personality that's split, it's his. He isn't a true conservative and he claims to be an independent. In attempting to look "fair and balanced" he often takes up for Obama which drives me up the wall. I've quit watching O'Reilly because he irritates me to the core and I don't need the aggrivation.

I do however, enjoy Hannity's America and even though Hannity makes money at what he does I believe he is a true patriot. It's a good program and Sean Hannity is at least consistent. I don't care for Limbaugh because - although he is also consistent - he has the same arrogant problem as O'Reilly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home