.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Well, my natural bent toward procrastination that has been exacerbated by age and infirmity was at least partially overcome. I actually filed my tax return before midnight on the fifteenth. The last five tax returns were filed after an automatic extension (read time to lose or misfile everything that is important.) I am not sure whether the so-called rebate was the biggest incentive or that I really plan to be traveling in August but it is done.

There is that in me that is relatively convinced that I could have saved my self about seven hundred bucks if I had filed it at a more leisurely pace a couple of weeks ago, but that would mean I had to give up procrastination completely. (Is there such a thing as a procrastiholic?) I have a little business making puppets and dolls, doing puppet shows, and workshops in theatre and/or puppetry with school children. Last year, between illness and moving and illness and remodeling etc., I turned down all the work that was offered and just didn't do a dang thing about it.

I found that Turbo Tax, a thing I have loved over the years because I have always done my own taxes, though my good friend whose funeral was last week had bet me(not FOR anything, just bet me) that he could save me money this year (he was a tax preparer) and it just added to my confusion that I had really planned to take him up on the bet, but I really have no complaints against Turbo Tax. My only real complaint is that as I get older I get less organized so it takes me longer to sort, hunt, etc. the stuff I need. But I am going to bed with the tax return done and my native dread of the Ides of August is now over.

6 Comments:

At 3:01 PM, Blogger Norma said...

I understand completely.

 
At 6:56 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

LOL! It's a great feeling to get it over with, isn't it? :)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I had to file an extension. AND I had a crooked, disorganized accountant who kept giving me AWFUL advice and STILL hasn't done the taxes for 2006 (he kept losing things) so I finally got them back and bought H&R TaxCut (I hope it's as good as Turbo Tax!). I'll be working on 2006 and 2007 for me AND my biz for the next month. :P

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Saur
I've heard good things about H&R. My fried who passed away this month worked for H&R and he was very enthusiastic about their program. I only used it once, a few years ago, and it didn't pick up the previous year's return from Turbo Tax as well as I wanted, but it was a lot cheaper and I was tight that year. I wish you well.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Saur
I've heard good things about H&R. My fried who passed away this month worked for H&R and he was very enthusiastic about their program. I only used it once, a few years ago, and it didn't pick up the previous year's return from Turbo Tax as well as I wanted, but it was a lot cheaper and I was tight that year. I wish you well.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home