.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It never rains but. . . .

We have been on another health adventure. My sister, her husband and their son and daughter-in law have been planning to visit us for the past couple of weeks (actually they have been planning the visit for a couple of weeks and were scheduled to arrive today. ) As a special treat, my oldest son had determined to make shrimp and beef shishkabobs (sp). We have a wonderful shop a couple of miles away that sells shrimp that they have caught with their own boats. They are wonderful, large, and fresh, so we picked up five pounds of jumbo shrimp and yesterday were wandering through Wally World to pick up some veggies and steak to go with them. As she was helping get the stuff through checkout, Janet tripped and fell, hitting her head on the checkstand and injuring her wrist. We immediately had, as if by magic two or three Wally World Associates and an assistant manager surrounding her, as a stranger called EMS at 911. It was exciting. One lady, the one who called 911, turned out to have had an aunt who tought my oldest son in school some forty years ago, another little lady came over to tell my wife that she saw her fall, was frightened, and was praying for her.

Jan had a big lump on her head and was unable to use her right hand at all, but some one brought a wheel chair and she was able to get up off the floor and be a little more comfortable waiting for the ambulance. When the ambulance came, the EMS types got her situated in the ambulance and we were off to the emergency room where she was appropriately x-rayes and cat scanned and we discovered that her head was just sore, but no real damage was done, but that her right wrist was broken, so they splinted her, wrapped her wrist, gave her painkillers and sent her home with a appointment to meet the orthopedist this morning. We went to his office where he checked the x rays and made a 1:00 P M. appointment to meet her at the hospital for surgery. All went well in surgery, and after she got out of the recovery room, I sat by her side and sang Our Love is Here to Stay. It was like a little reprise of our adventure in Finland in 2006. (Actually we had done a performance together Monday evening where we performed some poems and love scenes and finished with Do You Love Me from Fiddler on the Roof and a duet of Our Love is Here to Stay, so I had refreshed my self on the lyrics.)

She is home now, on painkillers, and my sisters family arrived to a bit more confusion ( actually,their luggage had been lost for awhile at the Atlant airport.) than they expected. We had planned a great excursion to Savannah tomorrow, and I am not sure how that will work out though I am relatively sure that Janet will not participate (I say relatively sure, because she makes an art of surprising me at times like this). I had suggested that we all go to the Casbah, a really fine Moroccan restaurant with wonderful food and belly dancers, but I think those who go will probably end up a Paula Deen's restaurant since all those in my family are fans of Paul Deen's television show. I am just glad that my heart can go back to beating at a slower pace for awhile.

5 Comments:

At 4:10 PM, Blogger Norma said...

Well, this is a fine kettle of fish while trying to fix a kettle of . . .So sorry! I hope the rest of the visit is uneventful. How nice that you can sing. If this happened to me, I know my husband wouldn't sing to me.

 
At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear this news! I hope her break heals quickly and she continues to surprise you when you least expect it. Good surprises, of course!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

AWWW! Richard, I think you are so sweet. Singing to your wife! You are such a wonderful romantic. :)

Bless Janet's heart. I hope that the break heals real soon.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

Boy - I turn my back for five minutes (doing taxes last week) and Janet's taking a nose dive again. I can't let you guys out of my sight for a minutes.

 
At 3:01 AM, Blogger Omelay said...

wow, scary i hope she heals quickly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home