.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Friday, February 24, 2006

Ethnic Humor?

I have a post on ethnic humor which is about half done, but I am leaving in the morning for Big Canoe in North Georgia and will be free of the internet till Friday or Saturday.
One of the things about ethnic humor is that nobody who is not of the particular “ethnicity” can really get away with telling it. My Jewish friends have kept me in stitches for hours with Jewish and Yiddish jokes (not always the same thing), the Monsignor who gave me instruction in the Catholic faith (It didn’t take) told some of the funniest altar boy and Saint jokes you can imagine. Italians tell Italian jokes and so on down the line.

I will say goodbye for the week with a couple of Mormon Jokes.

Joke one.

A Baptist minister and a Methodist minister were riding together to a Ministerial Alliance meeting when they were met, instead, by an eighteen wheeler driven by a drunk. They both passed away and came to the Pearly Gates together to be met by Saint Peter. The good Saint was showing them around heaven when they came to a stout seven foot wall.

St. Peter just steered them around it and they went on enjoying the scenery when they heard a beautiful choir sound from behind the wall. The Methodist turned to Saint Peter and began to ask a question but Saint Peter just touched his finger to his lips and motioned them forward. The choir sound faded, and the Baptist Minister, who was by that time, very agitated with curiosity asked St. Peter impatiently, what was going on behind the wall. St. Peter shushed him again and said, “Try to be quiet till we reach the next turn. Those are the Mormons back there and we try not to disturb them. They think that they are the only ones here.”

Joke two. This is a Finnish Missionary joke. ( It is old, but I took it in this form from a mailing list of former LDS Finnish missionaries)


A Mormon missionary was walking by a small lake in Finland one-day when a frog called out to him and said, "If you kiss me, I'll turn into a beautiful Finnish girl". He bent over, picked up the frog and put it in his pocket. The frog spoke up again and said, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a beautiful Finnish girl, I will cook pulla (to the uninitiated this is a marvelous Finnish bread with almonds and cardamom) for you." The missionary took the frog out of his pocket, smiled at it and returned it to the pocket. The frog then cried out, "If you kiss me and turn me back into a Finnish girl, I will join your church." Again the missionary took the frog out, smiled at it and put it back into his pocket. Finally, the frog asked, "What is the matter? I've told you I'm a beautiful Finnish girl, that I'll cook pulla for you, and join your church. Why won't you kiss me?" The missionary said, "Look I'm a Mormon missionary. I am not supposed to have a girlfriend, but a talking frog, now that's cool."

Have a good week and I’ll see you then

8 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

I love the frog joke! :)

Have a great week! You will be missed.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Joubert said...

The frog story was good but the first story was fabulous.

 
At 6:44 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

It's Tuesday. You are missed! :)

 
At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frog story rocks. Hope you are having fun.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Love the jokes! My favorite was the first. Thanks so much for sharing them. I needed that! ;o)

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

03 05 06

hahahhaha Now that is funny stuff!

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger Thotman said...

Richard, how are you...great stuff I swear your sense of humor is the best!

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too enjoy jokes. But I have to admit to a real weakness for the bad pun, especially when I make it up. I wrote one on Finnish Carpentry for my book on home improvement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home