.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

CLASS

CLASS

Today, the conservative blogs are full of attacks on the lack of class shown by former President Carter and others in using Coretta Scott King’s funeral as a spot to harangue the current President and to make political points.  This is certainly a valid point.  Among those making such points was Political Talk Show Host Rush Limbaugh.

Now, I have listened to Limbaugh off and on, for years, and for a long time, I was, at least to some degree, a fan.  I have found him entertaining, abrasive, informative, and sometimes irritating.  I somewhat resented his thought that anyone who disagrees with him is not conservative.  I was a conservative long enough ago to have been seriously irritated when the Republican party chose Eisenhower over Taft.  That was when Limbaugh, if alive, was probably in diapers.  But, the thing that has begun to offend me, in the past few years is his lack of class.  

For example, I remember an episode a year or so ago (at seventy plus, it is hard to count how many exactly) when he spent most of an hour whining about attending a restaurant or banquet where he feared that his Lexus (or some other luxury car) would not be parked by the valet parking attendant, but would be helpless in the midst of plebian Fords and Chevrolets, the owners of which, as plebians, might carelessly open a car door and “ding” his motorized masterpiece.  There was the clear implication that he was not used to that kind of company.  The big insult (as he perceived it) was that when he determined to back out of the driveway his path was blocked by (with great sarcastic accent) “Seasoned Citizens” who had been waiting for his temper tantrum to subside so that they could go in to eat and who did not instantly submit to the great man’s will and move their cars out of his way.

This afternoon I got in the car, which was tuned to a station that carries his show, he was sermonizing on the evils of those who were using the King funeral to politicize, then, he played a cut of President Clinton’s speech (stating that now we would hear the country’s first Black President).  He then proceeded to  “voice over” Clinton’s words.  His first comments were to be expected.  His hate for Clinton oft overcomes any good sense (I am amused by his frequent (and partially true) diatribes about the only thing the Democrats have going is HATE, when the mere mention of Clinton or Hillary brings his hate for them into such dramatic view.  No Democrat with hate for Bush has ever equaled the incredible hate he demonstrates for the Clintons).  When he began to pick at wording of Clinton’s speech, and make fun of Hillary standing beside him it was just old Rush “goin  on”.  When he began to mock the funeral itself, referring to the body of Mrs. King as “the mummy” implying that the attendees and especially the Clintons were like Egyptian death worshipers, (over and over) he went over the line.  At that point, he had no right to judge the “class” of anyone else.  He showed himself for the classless bigot he has become.  I liked him better when he made me angry.  Now he arouses pity.

12 Comments:

At 5:52 AM, Blogger Ed said...

I was appalled at the way certain dignataries handled themselves at the funeral. One would have thought it was a week before an election. I thought Clinton said it best when he got up and mentioned that there was a woman in the coffin right in front of the lecturn.

I used to listen to and love Rush once upon a time before his name was a household one. Then he kind of went off the deep end. I'm like fish, I agree with him quite a bit of the time but the way he makes a point is very irritating. I blame him and his liberal counterparts that are equally irritating for polarizing our nation to such a great degree.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Oh and by the way, I linked your wiretapping blog piece to mine to provide another view. Hope you don't mind.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger exMI said...

I gave up on Limbaugh a long time ago. Anyone who cannot acknowladge the good someone does as well as the bad is just a hopeless bigot. taht became very clear during the Clinton years of Limbaugh.

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Limbaugh is a windbag, IMHO. I agree with most of his views, but his intentions are negative and I consider him a bigot. Unacceptable.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Bravo. And ditto. Excellent points, and things that I've been saying repeatedly (to any victims who'd listen to me).

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

Rush was just on Fox - pompous and boring. I never was a fan and he has gotten so big-headed that he is now unbearable. His politics are okay. It's his character (or lack of it) that I don't like. You don't like Ann Coulter. I don't like Rush. At least Ann is prettier and funnier. Rush has no wit.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

I'll grant that Anne is a lot more pleasant to look at. I don't know what there is about her that irritates me. Maybe she looks like an old flame that tossed me. I really don't know.

 
At 9:15 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

Richard, I understand. I would not invite Anne into my home and would not make friends with her but she is a successful clown - basically a showbiz person.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I just did a post on dolls and I know you'll be interested...

Good heavens! My confirmation is oxaebmqx. Soon we'll be typing phrases. What am I saying? We are!

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Dionne said...

Sorry, but I'll have to completely disagree with all of you on this. I listen to Rush every day and he is just brave enough to tell it like it is. He doesn't hate the Clintons he is just fed up with their hypocrisy and so are a lot of us.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Miss C, I wish I could agree. Explain "telling it how it is" allows insulting the dead, referring to King's body in the casket as "the mummy" etc., etc,. I'm sorry, but it was gross.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

02 09 06
"(I am amused by his frequent (and partially true) diatribes about the only thing the Democrats have going is HATE, when the mere mention of Clinton or Hillary brings his hate for them into such dramatic view. No Democrat with hate for Bush has ever equaled the incredible hate he demonstrates for the Clintons)."

Well Richard: I think you have a point. Although if you see the BushAmerica blog you will think differently. I don't like the way he always bashes Bill Clinton and then goes softly on GWB. I want him to dole out the abuse equally and I don't think he is doing that like he used to. Not that I thought he was ever objective, but I think he has even gone too far and I can't really watch him anymore. He used to make me laugh, but now he is just on a haters campaign. Well-on the stuff that I have seen as of late. After Hurricane Katrina, he said some things that weren't very nice and it sorta turned me off.

Like I said, he is entertaining, but I think that is his purpose. One thing about all this polarization is that one is branded a traitor or not conservative enough if they disagree with these people. Well since when are they the bastions of conservative thought? But call me a Federalist Catoian if you wish. I like William F. Buckley's brand of conservatism more than Rush's. Ha! Thinking about him is tickling me pink!

And about the funeral-well I thought it was a poor display with poor timing. Ms. King deserved better than that.

About paradigm shifting and polarization...You are totally right about that! The reason the gal insulted me and called me race traitor is because she is guilty of myopia-even more than me! ha ha ah ha Have a good night Richard:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home