.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, January 02, 2006

New york times
Just a note. I just received my daily New York Times abstract of the "News". In it is an article which states that the U.S.Government has been paying Sunni Muslim Clerics "bribes" to be affirmative about the U.S. effort in Iraq. Not that these "bribes" seem to be particularly effective, I find myself offended (again) that the New York Times would find it necessary to print such information if it is true. If we have a public affairs office in Iran, and if we have contact with influential Mullas, we would be out of our minds not to do anything possible to establish any kind "good word" that would be possible. For years, we had official organs of propaganda operating during the cold war (and a lot of New York Times Hacks worked for them). Unfortunately our "National Newspaper finds it necessary to counteract any good information that might have gone out. I suppose it is only a matter of time before we find New York Times reporters setting IED's along the roadside in Baghdad.

12 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger mal said...

I am curious as to how they define "bribe" in this instance?

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger exMI said...

We gave money to anti insurgent mullahs. SO WHAT?
Not supporting them would be stupid.

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, what is the problem? Geeezzzz! Does anyone have a good reason for this article other than to make political hay? I would really like to know.

Mallory, good question. Me, too.

BTW, love you blog, Three Score.

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

The NYT is becoming seditious.

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I agree with everyone's opinion so far. However, I have mixed emotions. As Mallory said, I'd like more info. For instance, are they 'donating' with a wink and a nod, or are they saying baldly "We'll pay you to say sweet things..."?

 
At 10:18 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

DOWN with the NYT. I am sick of their tactics and left wing liberal nonsense.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Saur, to be honest, I don't care if they went in with a script and paid them a set amount. We are in a war zone and propaganda is part of it. (and it has been forever). The act of the Times in sabotaging that propaganda is, in my view, a seditious act.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

It may be silly to comment twice on my own post, but I need to clarify my last one. The publication of the NYT article, regardless of its truth or fiction (and I am not beyond thinking it could be fiction) endangers American lives, but, in a sense, more importantly it endangers the life of any Sunni (cleric or not) who speaks affirmatively of the election, of the U.S., of the new government and constitution, etc. For that reason it is pernicious, and can make our stay in Iraq more dangerous, and worse, longer.

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I have a nephew who is leaving for his third tour on the 7th. I am DISGUSTED with this journalism. Wait, this is not journalism, this is a comodity. PITIFUL!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

Isn't that the truth. I will be happy when this investigation of the NY Times reveals their sources for leaks and hope the majority of the paper goes to jail. I will not even read their paper anymore.

I agree with Sarah and Patrick as well.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger mal said...

mmmm, very good point on it endangering the lives of any pro alliance sunni mullahs

 
At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't heard from you for awhile. I hope you are ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home