.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, December 26, 2005

Shooting off my mouth

Shooting off my mouth.
I haven’t really offended anyone by shooting off my mouth in a long time. Today I went through a meditation that seems to indicate that this is the time, though if I were wise (as old coots are supposed to be) or immune from criticism (as some old coots seem to be), it probably wouldn’t be a problem.

When I first moved south in 1970, I heard a phrase for the first time that quite puzzled me. After hearing it a few times I sorted it out. The meaning was – to behave obnoxiously, and to be stubborn and defiant, particularly with relatives or with very close friends. The phrase was “Showing your (or his, or her) ass."

Now when I think of that phrase (I have just spent the day out following the “return your gift” crowds, and shopping, and you might think I was prepared to deal with obnoxious shoppers or gift returners, which were out in large numbers today, but you would be wrong) I can only think that it must apply to about sixty percent of the women between sixteen and thirty years old who are bending over to pick up, put down or look for almost anything. ( I somehow wish that some magic process would drop 360 degree mirrors around women with pants that only come up a little way, and tops that only come down a little way, so that women were forced to see themselves all the way round -like they are in that fashion show What Not to Wear).

I have previously noted in this blog that I think most (if not all) women are beautiful. I truly admire women and enjoy seeing them do almost anything, but with today’s styles, even with the occasional butterfly or star tattooed in the appropriate (or inappropriate) place I can’t think of anything that irritates me more than an otherwise attractive female, "showing her ass” -physically, accidentally or on purpose.----- Maybe if I were fifty years younger??? Naaaaaaaa.
My female friend tell me that it doesn't even work for plumbers, and that is a years long tradition.

7 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I certainly agree. It is simply tacky.

My ex mother-in-law used to say that if everyone could see themselves from the back before they left their homes, most people wouldn't leave at all.

One wonders, however.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger juanitagf said...

I applaude you. I really hate plumber pants on male or female.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Assorted Babble by Suzie said...

This is so funny...I hear ya!! Please people at least look in the mirror before you leave the house...bend over if you have to. WHAT NOT TO WEAR...seems to be like a virus....it is everywhere. It sure makes you wonder...what people are thinking.

Hoping you had a nice Christmas...and wishing 2006 to be awesome for us all. Happy New Year!!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

Thanks for the comment you left regarding The Discerning Texan. I really do appreciate it!

Funny (but absolutely true) post! Thanks.... You are undoubdtedly a discerning men. I was of the opinion most men liked the women running around half-exposed. I don't let my daughter do that either.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Well, I am male, and though I am old, I still enjoy beauty. I just don't find it in "plumber's exposure".

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger Bstermyster said...

Oh are you sure, there isn't anything as SEXY as Plumbers Crack! Just kidding! I just can't believe people actually do it on purpose these days.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Gayle said...

You are as old as you feel, and I have a sneaky suspicion you don't feel that old!

Good taste is good taste and bad taste is bad taste and never the twain shall meet! (Just made that up and it isn't half bad!)

I came back here explicitly to inform you that because of the comment you left on my blog I went back to The Discerning Texan's Blog and the comment button was on. So I corrected my post because of you being kind enough to let me know, and I appreciate it.

Merry Christmas (belated) and Happy New Year (a bit early)! And many blessings for the New Year! (Right on time!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home