.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I mentioned a high degree of panic over the fact that I had accepted my first live speaking role in a play (without a puppet above or in front of me) in fifteen years. I am still a little panicked because my short term memory is still not worth a damn. ( When I was acting on a consistent basis, I hardly ever had to study lines. If we did it three or four times in rehearsal I pretty well had it -- Well, there were some Sheridan, some Shakespeare and some some absurdist plays where the lines seemed unrelated that took more serious study) . Any way this is a pretty cheesy script where I have to play both Dickens (thirty some years my junior), and Scrooge ( almost as old as me), but I am getting a fairly firm grip on the two characterizations. (They, sort of, blended for a while) and I have decided that, if I ever can remember the damned words, I probably will not embarrass either myself or the director. Who knows, if it gets a review, I may post it. (Ego strokes, Ego strokes, Ego all the way- I won't finish the parody poem I wrote for Jingle bells. You can probably guess the ending when I tell you that Mr. Punch's wife Jucy sang the song, accompanied by a swinging broom that was NOT aimed at the floor.)

Bah Humbug to you all!!!!

This is a sort of a P.S. I went off to Newberry S.C. last week to watch the Salzburg Marionettes who are touring the U.S. They are doing Mozart's The Magic Flute, and you may not be impressed if you don't like Opera, but the marionette work is just exquisite. If they come to your community, go see them. I am going to try to put a link in to one of my favorite blogs. It may or may not work, and the blog may provide some language difficulties, though, in its way it is a really political blog.http://www.livejournal.com/community/_puppets_/

4 Comments:

At 9:47 PM, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

11 22 05

Three Score:
You are so funny and honest; I love reading your stories. Best wishes to you in the roles. It must be interesting to play two very different characters, and without puppets? Oh my! But I am sure you will do well. In terms of your memory, just relax...I recall joining a psychology explorers club years ago and one of the psychiatrists was burnt out and he said that when we are stressed, or worried or even nervous that our neurons don't fire off as quickly as they should when it comes to recall and analysis. So I bet if you can stay out of stress and shot nerves mode, you won't have a problem.

I recall being stressed about two and a half years ago. I could not remember how to do a simple physics problem and this lasted for a couple of months! After the stress reduced, I was able to resume my studies, but heed my warning and have fun with it!!! And I am sure you know that already, because you seem to have a very rich life:) As ever, I have enjoyed my visit here:)

Oh, and the link does not work:(

 
At 4:40 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

My family and I adore The Magic Flute. I will certainly go see it if it comes nearby!

Taking on a play where you play two parts: that would be incredibly difficult to do, if done right. And from the sound of it, you are aware of that. Good luck! I wish you could get someone to shoot it and post a bit of it on your blog.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger Joubert said...

I've seen a TV show about the opera marionettes which whetted my appetite - but then Magic Flute is so wonderful.

Best wishes for your play and break a leg.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

11 23 05

Three SCore:
The link works now! Happy Thxgiving:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home