.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Two posts in a week --wow

I once was a supporter of the Patriots Act and much that it included.  Recent events in my life have made me pretty cynical.  Without being too specific I have really become worried about the Homeland Security people. 

I am old enough to remember that there was a lot of resistance at the founding of the FBI There was a Constitutional argument about a national   police force vs local law enforcement so when the FBI was carefully limited to interstate crime, violation of Federal rather than local or state law, etc.  Any watcher of television has seen the tension arise between local law enforcement and the FBI when the FBI takes over a case that began in local jurisdiction (as well as the occasional relief felt by local law when the FBI has assumed jurisdiction when a case is going badly or when a serial killer is involved.

Homeland Security was sold to the public as an agency designed to protect the country from terrorists, spies and that sort of thing..

We are beginning to find Homeland Security involved with totally domestic crime and they are clearly not as careful of how they operate as are the local and state law enforcement.   Beyond Homeland Security, we see from the recent events in Nevada the Bureau of Land Management seems to have swat teams or military groups enforcing law with the appearance of military attack on US citizens.   WE have a Posse Comitatus (my spelling is down the tubes) that keeps the US army from enforcing the law within the borders of the US. but it seems  that the Federal Government is by passing the historical and constitutional basis of law enforcement and oozing toward a National Police Force of some kind or kinds.  When I think of a National Police Force it brings to mind the Gestapo or the NKVD….  Iiiiick  

3 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Ed said...

Well if you are the new norm, perhaps I am coming back into style because I was pretty much opposed to the Patriot Act and took a lot of heat back then for my views. Back then I was labeled a liberal but now people like me have a name... Rand Paul Republicans.

I always felt Benjamin Franklin said it best when he said, "They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger Davoh said...

Um, not really interested in the politics - -or religions - or the weather in the northern hemisphere of this
rather unique planet - and its peoples.

Am pleased to know that you remain alive.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Vest said...

I shortly will become Octo Octo. Been blogging since 23-3-2005 average approx 2.587107 blogs per week. Not getting drawn into USA domestic policies. American TV aggravates me no end with it's dialogue drowned out by nonsensical overbearing background noise I assume to be local music.
Not into religion or polygamy. had one wife for sixty years, an angel still living.
You appear to be a person with many talents. Write more often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home