.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, July 21, 2008

Stuff that ticks me off.

I received a phone call a minute ago from some dang lawyer's office. You know the call, it has two people alternating "We have and important message"--rom the offices of Dewey, Screwfolks and Howe"--"About an important legal issue"--"for Jane Doe ". "It is crucial that you contact our office immediately" "at our call back number" 333 333 3333,"An operator will be at that number"....etc.

Of course the call to our number was for a previous owner of our house who is now living in heaven knows where. This computer generated piece of crap will probably be used as evidence of non compliance with some law suit and "Jane Doe" will either not receive a payment that was due her as a member of a class or will receive a bill for some money that she won't understand at all.

If they come to your number and you try to call to inform them that they have the wrong number or that the person no longer lives here, you hit a computer generated screener that asks your ID in four different kinds and your number lives forever in some lawyer's scam list.

Some time ago I went through a three week period of three calls a day from Citibank that successfully convinced me that I would never answer one of the weekly mailings I receive from that company offering me "pre-approved" credit cards. I wish I could shoot a 400 volt current into any machine that makes this kind of call.

2 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger Joubert said...

"Dewey, Screwfolks and Howe?"

Never heard that before but you know that my brain has appropriated it for future use. :)

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Actually my brain appropriated it from the "Dewey Cheatum and Howe" the graces the credits of the PBS Cartalk program (listed as legal advice for the program). Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could be original???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home