.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, February 10, 2008

I mentioned, a couple of posts ago, that I was going to change some of my pattern, and go back to writing about my youth, some experiences in theatre and school, some experiences from my mission, and so forth.
as I sat down to do this, the realization came over me that I didn't really have a clue as to what I had already written on these subjects. When one is seventy plus years old , one has probably told or written all of the stories one has to at least a few people. (sometimes over and over-- you can tell when you're talking one on one-- or even one on a bunch of folks-- when you are retelling things that they all have heard because there is a cheesy little smile that pops out on everyone's faces). When I attempt to write about experiences, I can't see whether you have a cheesy smile or not, so I don't know if I have already told the story. I note that I have shifted from second person to third person impersonal ("one") to first person in one paragraph. Another sign of seventy plus, though a bigger sign is that I am too darn lazy to go back and change it.

In an effort to make sure that I don't post anything multiple times, I went back to the archives of my blog, starting right at the beginning, and recording what I have said. I discovered a couple of things. For one thing, I have wondered if dropping away from politics was a factor in my losing readership, but in reading my stuff from 2005 and 2006, I discovered that I was doing better writing about more interesting stuff back then. I guess it is a real sign of age when one/you/I/ get interested in reading my own stuff. For another thing, I really didn't get as rabid about politics as I thought I had, and I may relent and post some politics if I really think it may be of interest and I can control my emotions.

If, in spite of my back-check, I tell you a story that I have already told you, put on your cheesy little smile and drop me a comment, verbally slapping my hand. If you have never read any of the stuff I wrote back in the dark (er) ages, go back and look at it, then feel free to compare it to new work (gee, I have created a "webinar" (I REALLY hate that word). I have several things half written, three of them that I promised to write about two years ago.

2 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Brent said...

Coot,
I'm not quite but nearing coot category. Trapsed across your blog while reading comment on a blog that I linked to from another. You know what I mean.

My wife and I saw bucket list and loved it too.

I saw that you liked blues and thought you might find interesting, the last three blogs on that topic. http://okberry.spaces.live.com/

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Norma said...

I print my blogs and go back an re-read. Most of the time I don't remember them. I see people who get 50-60 comments and don't write much about anything but have regular readers. Let's face it--the young folks don't want to read us old fogies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home