.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Friday, May 19, 2006

Weight Doesnt Matter

Weight Doesn’t Matter If You Are Healthy

I take an intense session of water aerobics three to four times a week, and, to be honest I think it is one of the main reasons why I am alive, with low colesteral and good blood pressure three years after my bypass. It is also a factor in the fact that, in spite of a neuropathy that has at times been crippling, I hardly ever use a cane anymore, and the last time I used a walker was when I had ankle surgery last summer.

That said, water aerobics is interesting. Most of the participants are females who are approaching my age range rapidly (there are a few whippersnappers, but….) and they come in ALL sizes. During my participation in the class, we have had several instructors, most of them VERY good, a few, kind of “iffy”. Most of them have been nursing, or exercise therapy students from the University, and generally they are small. Our current teacher/coach is a former competitive gymnast, with thighs about the size of my upper arms. She has frequently lectured us on the above topic. If you are healthy and feel good about yourself, weight doesn’t matter. She frequently belittles the TV ads for step aerobics, pilates, and even classes in those kinds of things. Exercise will make you healthy says she, but it won't really take off weight. She says that, even though she both takes classes and teaches classes in these disciplines.

Last week, she suddenly went into a mini tirade (as we were doing “jumping jacks” with water weights in our hands) about the number of calories in a donut. Chatter went on about the Suzanne Sommers diet, Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc. When I challenged her as a bit of a hypocrite, she explained.

Her brother is getting married in June, and she is to be one of the attendants (of some kind, she didn’t clarify). A week or so ago, her brother went out and bought the dresses for herself and her sister. (She didn’t mention how this affected her sister, and it would be interesting to find out). The last time her brother had purchased clothing for her was about five or six years ago when she was actively competing in gymnastics. At that time she was a size one (She could fool me into thinking she was a size one now, but. . . ) Of course the dress her brother bought was a size one. She says that she can get the dress on, and could wear it, as long as she didn’t have to walk, or sit, or move, or any of those kinds of things. She is now deep into diets, is taking twice as many exercise classes, and is determined to fit into the expensive dress by the wedding. Oh well, so much for just being healthy and feeling good.

5 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Good for you! My parents also do a great deal of exercise and I know it's what's keeping them as young as they are, and as healthy. I also think it's the reason that my father's still around. My mom's mom swam several laps in her pool every day almost up to the day that she died. It make her healthier and therefore happier. I don't exercise like I should, but I intend to exercise more and I've been trying to lately!

 
At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh brother! Guilt, guilt, guilt! I need to get a bike.

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger exMI said...

Eat well, Stay fit, die anyway.

(Just joking.....)
:)

Actually exercise does keep the time before dieing a lot more enjoyable. If only it weren't so painfull.....

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

05 24 06

Hahahha. It is always easy to lecture about feeling good in ones own skin, but when put to the test she failed. It would have been better for her to buy another dress. It is so cool that you are active in water aerobics. I have been thinking of seriously trying it out. We have been going to nature to decompress and hiking is exercise, but I can't do it every day. Just thinking of you and glad to have read another one of your interesting stories. Take Care Richard:), And I guess you are back from your trip now?

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Norma said...

I didn't know they made a size one.
Eat less, move more. Works every time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home