.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, February 28, 2010

movies teeth and stuff

It has been awhile.  I have repeated my trip to The Dalles where we spent four or five hours scanning books of ancestral pictures and running to the copy business where we copies (very inexpensively I might note) two or three books of genealogical data.

I spent some time with the local dentist getting impressions and stuff of my mouth.  After all was done they called and said that they would be ready to pull my teeth and install my bridge on March 8.  I had already informed everyone that I was leaving Washington by air on March 9, so, according to plan I would board a plane with six newly missing teeth and a new upper plate.  I calmly told them (of course I am always calm and diplomatic) that such was unacceptable, that they could bill me or my insurance for all that had been done, and I would go home and start afresh with a new dentist, new lab, etc.  I was careful not to tell them what they could do with the molds etc.

The next morning they called to say that they had discussed the matter with the lab, and the teeth would be ready Monday the first, and if I were still willing they would pull the teeth and install the bridge at 10:00 A. M. Tuesday.  I accepted.  I really didn’t want to do it on Tuesday either because it is my son’s birthday and we were planning to celebrate it at Todai’s (a wonderful oriental restaurant where we often celebrate important events)  I had made such an issue of getting the thing done that I was embarrassed at the idea of another change.  I probably will satisfy myself by tanking up on creme brule (it is wonderful at Todai’s).

In the meantime I have gone to a couple of movies.  I don’t get to as many as I would like any more but the two I saw were excellent.  The first was with Denzel Washington who combined the roles of action adventurer and serious thinker in The Book of Eli.  I enjoyed the movie enormously.  It was not preachy, but it was an example of commitment that many people at this time would not understand at all.   His sense of purpose led to a very satisfactory and somewhat unexpected ending.

The second was Sherlock Holmes.   It was a really welcome change from the endlessly cerebral Holmes played by Basil Rathbone and”whoever now plays him on  BBC.  Of all the Basil Rathbone versions the only one that completely reflected the Holmes of the books was the one (title now forgotten) that showed the duel to the death between Holmes and Moriarty at R********** Falls.  I found that this one showed the Holmes of my reading in a much more satisfactory form.   I recommend both movies highly. 

I won’t have an opportunity for another movie.  I have spent much of my time watching the lessons for my grandson in ballroom dancing, and I got to seen him and his partner in one performance.  He is very good.  They won honors at a competition in Seattle and qualified for Nationals this summer, though it looks like they may not go.  For the next week I will be watching as the high school Robotics team (of which he is captain and his brother one of the crew) compete in their first competition of the year on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  I then pack up my sore mouth and head home. 

I have some  remarkable progeny.  The ballroom dancing robot operator is in a math science magnet (mostly AP)  program focussing on engineering and shopping for colleges.  In the meantime he has performed in Oliver, Music Man, Pirates of Penzance (sp) Joseph and His Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat and a variety of other plays.  His brother and sisters were in all of these where the eleven year old sister played Oliver in a wonderful  Oliver .  In the meantime his parents (he is an engineer with a degree in Korean,  her degree is in geology and she is a choir directory and excellent theatre director and actress) were Beatrice and Benedick in Much Ado.   I would like to think it is genetic because of Janet’s and my work in theatre, but it isn’t true in engineering where, in high school, I passed Advanced Algebra by promising my teacher that I would not attempt Solid Geometry, Trigonometry, or Calculus.

1 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger Ed said...

Keep an eye out for Henry Lincoln Kuck when sorting through the pictures of The Dalles. He is a 2nd great uncle of mine who moved out there when the west was young and evidently became quite the saddle maker. I've tried buying some of his saddles on ebay but they are quite the collectors item and I don't have the several thousand dollars to blow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home