.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Neglect and Apologies

I feel like I owe my readers (both of them) an apology. I stated a couple of weeks ago that I would post on weekends and I have run into problems. This past weekend Janet and I decided to go stay with our daughter in South Carolina for the President's Day weekend, and during that time we both came down with terrible colds that just knocked the socks of from us. That's one excuse, but. . . .

I started this summation of events in Finland primarily because I had an ex-editor for a magazine suggest that I should write about them for that magazine. Thinking that it would be a good idea, I started, and each of the posts on the blog has been excerpted from the rough draft of that article. Of course, long after I had started, I received information that I had eight hundred to a thousand words available, and I had, long since exceeded that limit, but I decided to go on anyway, whether it would be published elsewhere or not, since I had sorted through and organized my sources. (I kept a small journal while all this was going on, and, in addition, I sent an email news report of a page or two, home to both our families almost every evening. My sources consist of my notes or journal and copies of all those emails gathered and sequenced as well as some emails and phone calls to others who were there). The part of the adventure that I have reached at this point, after Janet regained consciousness, is both detailed and very personal, including what happened in the hospital, what was happening to me spiritually, and my adventures trying to organize a trip home. Telling this part of the story in a coherent way (still thinking article) has become a problem. I will finish this thing, but probably will post some other stuff (some, already written) just to keep the blog in place while I am fighting the writers block about Jan's illness.. I remember how easy it was, before I decided to quit writing about current political and social subjects just to peel off from someone else's blog post or an article in one of the news magazines and bloviate a little.

I have managed to keep up with some of my favorite blogs and post comments there, but that doesn't keep this space filled. I still will resist filling this space with comments about the human train wrecks involved with Brittany, Anna Nicole, and the other garbage that is infesting the news at this time. Bare with me, I will still post "something" each weekend, and will try to get the Finnish story coherently told. I even have another idea about someone to whom I can submit it when I'm done. (hopefully during this lifetime).

2 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger Joubert said...

Ah, come on, bloviate a little. I've found that I enjoy doing a mixture of in-depth stuff, politics and gossip.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Mahndisa S. Rigmaiden said...

03 05 07

Hey Richard:
I enjoy whenever you post, no matter the intervals! Thanks for sharing. I read your post above when you bloviated a bit about healthcare for Veterans. I TOTALLY agree with you! My ancestors on my Daddy's side are all Veterans. Service to ones country is important and is to be rewarded. I cannot imagine using them and then throwing them to the curb, but that is exactly what we do!

Thanks for sharing. Glad to know Janet is improving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home