.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Pictures of Joensuu, Finland, 1955


1955 Finland

I believe I have figured out how to use the picture download without printing three at a time. We’ll see. The picture on the right, above is one of those from a slide that was corrupted by mold, and it has only been semi-successfully cleaned, but it is a picture of a place near Joensuu called the Koli heights. Along with the Grand Canyon, Cappadocia in Turkey, and a few selected spots in the high Rockies and Alps, this is one of the most beautiful and impressive sights I have ever seen. I went skiing there in March of 1955. Most of the skiing I had opportunity to do in Finland was cross country, while this was at least in part alpine skiing. Mormon missionaries are not allowed to ski anymore, and if you had seen me traveling up the rope tow at Koli upside down and backwards you would understand why, but it was a grand experience none the less.

The picture on the left is also from Joensuu. It is one of my favorites. I don’t know if the kelka (kick sleigh) is used anywhere but in scandanavia, but it is one of the most fun and most practical tools found anywhere there is snow. This little boy was obviously having fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home