.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Monday, November 05, 2007

Not a political comment

This afternoon I was listening to Cavuto on Business on FoxNews. He interviewed one of those people who are most properly identified as the south end of a northbound horse. The "south end" interviewee was going on and on about the problems with the school founded by Oprah Winfrey in South Africa. She deserves everything she gets, he ranted, she should have spent her money in her old neighborhood in the USA.,And On- and on and on. I think it is amazing how other folks feel justified in criticizing the way other people use their money for charity. (and avoid using their own)

I ordinarily give away a little more than fifteen percent of my income to various organizations and people, ranging from my church to the charter school my wife helped found, to Carl the homeless guy who used to live in my pocket, to the Heart Fund (with our family experience in cardiac situations this seems justified) and I always seem to run across someone who discovers what I have given to some organization or person and has some caustic comment about it. and some better idea of what I should have done.

I am not an Oprah fan generally speaking, but I appreciate someone who puts her/his money where her/his mouth is. She discovered what she has determined as a need and did her best to at least partially fulfill the need. Some people said she did it for PR or for other reasons (what does one of the richest performers in history need with more PR?), but it doesn't matter.

I am so used to liberals in this country identifying what they think is a need, then wanting to put MY money where THEIR mouths are. Seeing anyone approach it from an individual approach without demanding that we all follow their examples is refreshing to say the least. Nuff Said!

3 Comments:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Joubert said...

I saw that horse's ass on Cavuto too. Like you, I'm not a big Oprah fan but she's entitled to do with her money whatever she wishes and her school is a great idea.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

A "permalink" is the link to your post. For instance, if I right click over the time you posted this particular post, - 8:45 - and choose "copy shortcut" then paste it here, this is what you will see:
http://three-score-and-ten-ormore.blogspot.com/2007/11/geezer-problems-oh-my-one-of-things.html
That is the link to this post, but not to your entire blog. Only this post would show up if I posted the link on my blog and someone clicked on it.
But by placing a html code at the front of the link, after the link, and at the end of the link, this is what would show up, and if you left click on it, it will take you to that post:
Geezer Problems
I would leave you the html code I'm using, but it won't show up because it goes to invisible when I publish. It's the same code that is used around your links in the html page of blogger.

Does that help or confuse?

Anyway, I don't think you're a geezer yet. Sorry. You're far too bright. I know a lot of people decades younger than you who are geezers, just like you said. It's horrible to contemplate what they may be like when they reach your age... or mine!

 
At 7:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog when searching some information about "Aidin Porsaat," the Finnish Christmas song. I read where you were a Fulbright teacher, as was I 1995-95. I served as a missionary to Finland (1964-67) for the Mormon Church. It was a grand experience to return after so many years and to do so with my wife and younger son. We miss Finland terribly. Like you, Finland has become synonymous with Christmas for our family. I make sometimes literally hundreds of loaves of pulla for friends, neighbors, and family each December. It has become an expected tradition. You really made me homesick to return. This last go-around we lived in Seinajoki. My wife moved to Kokkola after January during our stay to teach at an English immersion school while I spent the week days in Seinajoki. We then met on the weekends. It was a grand year that we will always cherish. To experience the changes that had occurred from 1967 to 1995 was thrilling. Finland had blossomed into wonderous nation. We were amazed at how much more advanced the Finns were compared to American in areas of technology. As I near retirement (hopefully at the end of this year) we hope to return, at least for a visit. I'd love to even move back and spend the rest of my years. Thanks for your comments that brought back many memories.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home