.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Well I did it.

I have signed a contract on another house. The house we have lived in for thirty years is in a confused neighborhood where most of the residents are now student renters. Only four houses in our area (counting us) still have owner residents, and it just isn't pleasant any more. It was the ideal house when we moved in with six kids. The recreation center was close, the university was close, everything we did was close (except my wife's job which was almost thirty miles away, poor wife). Now it is like living in the lobby of a student dormitory, and nothing is very close.

We signed a contract on a new house (well, not NEW, used, but new to us.) It is in a nice subdivision with 1.3 acres and a pool (we'll see how much we like the maintenance on the pool, I sometimes get tired of the maintenance on the hot tub). We haven't completed the financing yet. I have had one offer that I am not excited about. We'll see how that works out, and it will be interesting to move thirty years worth of junk (well, furniture too.), but right now, it feels good.

3 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Joubert said...

The pool sounds great but it sure is hard work.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Gayle said...

As the owner of an in-ground pool I can testify it's hard work, Richard. As I live out in the country I can't get someone to do the maintenance on it for me. There aren't any pool mainenance places within 80 miles of me. If you can afford getting maintenance people to take care of it for you I would suggest doing so. I did that when we lived in Florida and it was worth every penny and then some! Otherwise you'll have to purchase a lot of pool-cleaning equipment and chemicals in order to do it yourself.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Thotman said...

hi richard, glad to see you are having fun on the home front...its nice to try something different even if its a house. I notice you drop by often and I try and come read but arrive so infrenquently I end up reading five or six blogs at a time...which gives it the feel of continuity... or flow... I do not envy your boxing and moving...but I know you are smart enough to hire the lifting part...scouts are marvelous lifters and carriers... I think you are in for a marvelous time so swim alot and enjoy life to the max... you are truly a peach of a guy..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home