.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Three score and ten or more

Sunday, August 28, 2005

I have been reading more blogs since I decided to write one. On the blog A Conservative's Conservative , Eddie lists a number of conservatives whom he admires. Most, if not all of these are talk show hosts or folks otherwise in the media. I’m afraid I don’t share his attraction. I don’t mean I resent or dislike their conservatism. I suspect that I am the only person who has ever been introduce to a University faculty meeting as “The only Theatre Professor in the United States who is six steps to the right of Genghis Khan.” What I really resent is the sense of omniscience presented by most. (I know, I know, it is part of Rush Limbaugh’s schtick, and the program wouldn’t be nearly as entertaining without it.), but I was a conservative before most of these schmucks were born, and I think I know what is conservative and what is just bombast and what is conservative thought. I was a conservative long enough ago that I remember being really ticked when the Republican Convention picked Dwight Eisenhower over Bob Taft .

I did support Eisenhower but was troubled at how conservative he was not.

Now I hear so called conservatives lecture and shout, but I still can’t figure out what is conservative about Rush Limbaugh shilling for the tobacco companies for years while they were actively planning the addiction of children to dangerous drugs. (and lying in congressional hearing about this fact)

The saddest day in Rush Limbaugh’s career (as far as I was concerned) was when he spent almost an hour of his monologue whining about having gone to a restaurant where the parking lot was filled with Chevys and Fords and he was sure that his Lexus would be contaminated by the association with the hoi polloi and the patron behind him was (said with an intense sneer) was a “seasoned citizen” who didn’t want to back out of the driveway to let his luxury car escaped. Rush has excited me a few times, entertained me a lot of times, but this was the first time I felt pity for the fool.

I have an urge to take off on some of the others, but I will save them for another day.

1 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger Three Score and Ten or more said...

Of those on your list, I occasionally listen to Sean Hannity but he is so redundant. He can never stop at saying anything three times. Bill O Reilly is interesting but hung up on impractical solutions (Send the National Guard to secure the Southern Border... If you called guardsmen who just spent a year in Iraq to go down and be underpaid Border Guards the National Guard would shrink to 1/3 its size and be useless for any other purpose.)

I don't hear Ken Hamblin much anymore but he was one of the best. Neal Boortz is one who would object to being called a conservative, but I appreciated the honest with which he says "Don't believe anything you hear on this or any other show till you have checked out the facts with three other sources."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home